Two aftershocks rattle Indon town


QUAKE DAMAGE: Christian residents attending service Sunday in front of their damaged church after an earthquake in the town of Nabire in Papua. - Reuterspic

JAKARTA: Two major aftershocks yesterday rattled the eastern Indonesian town of Nabire, which is facing a mammoth rebuilding effort after earthquakes killed at least 31 people and caused widespread destruction. 

The first aftershock in the morning measured 5.3 on the Richter scale while the magnitude of the second was not immediately known but appeared higher, said Fauzi, head of the National Seismology Centre. 

“Residents said the tremor in the afternoon was stronger than in the morning,” Fauzi said, adding that there were no reports of casualties from the aftershocks.        

A resident said the afternoon temblor sent people scrambling out of their homes. 

“Power was up and we were starting to return to our houses but suddenly there was this strong aftershock and we ran out in panic,” Tornado told Elshinta radio.  

A quake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale – thought to be the largest quake measured in the region since 2000 – struck the town in northwestern Papua province on Friday. 

At least 33 aftershocks have been recorded since then, including one measuring 6.2 on the Richter scale on Saturday, the official said. – AFP  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Regional

Covid-19: Cases hit a new record with 1,884 increase, bringing total to 56,659 (updated daily)
Alibaba CEO says China's scrutiny of Internet platforms is needed
Covid-19: New record of 1,884 cases reported, two fatalities bring death toll to 337 (updated)
Documents show Japan ex-PM Abe's camp subsidised backers' party - NHK
KLCI edges up 3.73 points in line with regional markets
India’s RBI hits Twitter milestone in financial awareness drive
Thai woman alleges sex abuse in school then faces storm of criticism
US moves to ban tech exports to 89 Chinese firms, Reuters says
MA63 talks between Sabah, S'wak and Federal Govt to resume after eight-month pause
Trump’s leaving office, but don’t expect him to leave your news feed

Stories You'll Enjoy