Arroyo lifts state of rebellion in the Philippines


MANILA: President Gloria Arroyo said yesterday she was lifting a 16-day state of rebellion, which had allowed for arrests without warrants, as the conspiracy behind a mutiny by rogue troops had been contained. 

She said the country's focus must now shift to fighting “the ever constant threat of terrorism,” especially after the escape of Indonesian militant Fathur Roman al-Ghozi from a top-security jail here nearly a month ago. 

The military has said the siege on July 27 by more than 300 elite soldiers at the luxury Oakwood Hotel in Manila's business district was part of an attempt to install a 15-man junta to govern the nation of 82 million people. 

Arroyo insists she will not run in elections due by May 2004, but the rest of her term will be marked by the political intrigue behind the ninth military uprising in 17 years and concerns about rumbling disquiet in the 113,000-strong armed forces. 

The government, which has said the well-armed renegade troops must have had significant financial and logistical support, has been accused by some opposition politicians and other critics of using the state of rebellion to crack down on opponents. 

A computer disk found at the Oakwood showed “the wide, broad and grand extent of the plan” included seizing the presidential palace, Manila's international airport and military complexes, armed forces spokesman Lt Gen Rodolfo Garcia said. 

The mutineers were forced to adopt the contingency option of taking over the hotel “because the government was able to discover their plan in time,” he said on television yesterday. 

 

Business groups – which had warned that a prolonged state of emergency would damage investor confidence already tested by corruption and concerns about violence by Muslim and communist rebels – welcomed the end of the state of rebellion. 

 

Coup charges have been filed against 321 soldiers and rebellion charges against Ramon Cardenas, a member of former president Joseph Estrada's Cabinet. Cardenas and Estrada, who is on trial for economic plunder, have denied any involvement. 

State prosecutors have also issued subpoenas to an opposition senator and six others, giving them until mid-August to contest pending coup charges. 

Senator Gregorio Honasan, a former army colonel linked to coup plots in the 1980s, has made no public appearances recently but accuses the government of fabricating a case against him. – Reuters  

For Another perspective from the Philippine Daily Inquirer, a partner of Asia News Network, click here

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Regional

Indonesia's Java hit by magnitude 5.9 quake, reports of one killed, damage
South Asia surpasses grim milestone of 15 million COVID-19 cases: Reuters tally
Covid-19: Cases up by 1,510, bringing total to 359,117 (updated daily)
Covid-19: 1,510 new cases reported, S'gor takes top spot again with 415 cases
Adham Baba: 375,260 people have received both doses of Covid-19 vaccine
Hong Kong’s multimillionaire population hit record high last year even as its economy had its worst recession on record
Malaysian artist Red Hong Yi creates installation from 24,000 used coffee capsules
This Thai coffin maker kickflips caskets into skateboards
NASA space copter ready for first Mars flight
RBI pledge seen only giving short-term relief

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers