A MAN forced his way into a married woman's Tampines flat on Monday morning, locked himself with her in a bedroom and set it ablaze.
Both the man, 44, and the woman, 42, suffered severe burns and died about 10 hours later at the Singapore General Hospital.
The woman and her husband, 43, ran a foodstall at a Beach Road hawker centre.
They moved here from Hong Kong about 10 years ago and were Singapore citizens.
The nature of the relationship between the woman and the dead man, as well as his reasons for going to the flat, were unclear.
Police said the two knew each other, and it is learnt that they had met at the hawker centre.
The incident happened at 7.30am, after the woman's husband left for work and their Indonesian maid returned from taking their eight-year-old son to school.
Police said she was opening the door to the four-room flat when she was shoved aside by the man, who had apparently followed her there.
The man, said to be carrying a plastic bottle filled with kerosene, rushed into the woman's bedroom and locked the door.
Moments later, the maid saw smoke coming out of the bedroom and screamed for help.
Also in the flat was the couple's 19-year-old daughter, who had been asleep in another room before she was awakened by the maid.
At least six neighbours who heard the maid screaming ran to help.
The man had suffered 92% burns and the woman, 95%, said a hospital spokesman.
Although they were put on ventilators to help them breathe, they died within 15 minutes of each other in the evening. – The Straits Times/Asia News Network