HK boy who caused panic to face court summons


HONG KONG: A 14-year-old boy who had caused panic through a posting on his Internet website on April 1 saying Hong Kong would be declared an infected area in view of the SARS outbreak, will face a court summons, a report said yesterday. 

The schoolboy was arrested after police traced him to his home on April 1, the same day he had posted the bogus report on his website along with a logo of the Chinese-language newspaper, Ming Pao

The South China Morning Post cited a legal source as saying the boy would be served the summons when he reports to police on Tuesday. He has been freed on HK$1,000 (RM486) bail. 

The fake report had claimed Hong Kong had been declared an infected port, the Hang Seng stock index had collapsed and Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa had resigned. – AFP  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Regional

Covid-19: Cases hit a new record with 4,275 increase, bringing total to 180,455 (updated daily)
Covid-19: Record high of 4,275 cases, seven more deaths
Dr M not hospitalised, says aide
Malaysian illustrator Charis Loke co-edits new anthology of South-East Asian comics
Police, wildlife authorities must probe butchering of elephant in Sabah, says Liew
Sabah's pygmy elephants could be wiped out if nothing is done, says conservationist
CPO futures may undergo technical correction next week
'Everybody determined' to get Tokyo Games going - Bach
North Korea sees talks as way to advance nuclear program, says U.S. intel official
Terror trio in the dock 18 years later

Stories You'll Enjoy