Authorities on the hunt for 100 passengers


  • AseanPlus News
  • Friday, 02 May 2003

AUTHORITIES here are trying to track down more than 100 people who arrived on three flights carrying passengers later diagnosed with SARS symptoms, prompting renewed fears of the virus spreading in the community at large. 

Health Ministry spokesman Bey Mui Leng said yesterday that officials were searching for passengers who arrived on flights from Shanghai, Jakarta and Hong Kong earlier this month. Each flight was carrying a passenger who either had SARS or showed symptoms of the disease. 

Visitors to the city-state must fill out a health declaration form, and list phone numbers and addresses where they can be reached during their stay. Those providing false information are liable to a fine. 

Bey said about 100 passengers were being sought but that the exact number would be released later. 

“The data is still coming in,'' she said. 

A traveller on an April 5 Singapore Airlines flight from Hong Kong was taken directly to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, the island's dedicated SARS hospital, after displaying SARS symptoms on arrival. 

Thermal scanners at Singapore's Changi Airport detected the high temperature of a China Eastern Airlines passenger from Shanghai on April 25, who was taken straight to hospital. 

 

A passenger on an April 22 Garuda Indonesia flight from Jakarta was diagnosed with SARS four days after returning to Singapore. His mother was diagnosed with the disease that same day. 

 

Tangie Kay, another spokesman for the health ministry, said all three passengers were isolated at the hospital. 

Some passengers from the affected flights have already been ordered to stay home. 

 

Over 2,800 Singaporeans are already under home quarantine – an order enforced by strict measures including fines and jail terms. – AP  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site