Two more Bali bomb suspects picked up


  • AseanPlus News
  • Wednesday, 15 Jan 2003

BALI: Indonesian police said yesterday they have arrested two more Bali bomb suspects, one of whom they said had parked a van that exploded outside a bar packed with foreign tourists. 

Edi Darnadi, deputy chief of the investigating team, told reporters the suspects were caught on a remote islet near Kalimantan on Monday. 

“We caught the two suspects on the small islet of Berukang off (the East Kalimantan capital of) Samarinda. They were Ali Imron alias Alik, and Mubarok alias Hutomo Pamungkas,” he told a news conference in Bali. 

Three bombs exploded on the holiday island at almost the same time on Oct 12. At least 191 people were killed. 

Most of the victims were killed by the exploding minivan that had been parked outside a crowded nightclub on the Kuta beach strip. 

I Made Mangku Pastika, the team’s chief investigator, told Reuters that Imron had confessed to parking the minivan outside the Sari Club. 

The Bali bombing was the most devastating terror attack after the Sept 11 attacks in the United States that killed about 3,000 people. 

Police said Mubarok, the other suspect arrested, was involved in gold-shop robberies that they said were among the sources of funds for the bombing. 

Darnadi said that before apprehending the two, authorities picked up nine others who gave them information that led to the arrests. 

Imron is the younger brother of Amrozi, the first suspect arrested over the bombings and who is also expected to be the first to take the stand when trials over the bombings start, probably next month. 

Police gave prosecutors a 1,623-page dossier against Amrozi last week but Darnadi said there was a plan to send it back for more information. 

“We’re waiting for that dossier. It’s better for them to return it now so that police can complete the parts which don’t sufficiently meet with legal needs. This is normal,” he said. 

Under Indonesia’s legal system, prosecutors usually decide if there is enough evidence to go to court, which sets a trial date. Officials have said the bombing trials would likely be held on Bali. – Reuters  

  • Another perspective from The Jakarta Post, a partner of Asia News Network. 

  • Article type: metered
    User Type: anonymous web
    User Status:
    Campaign ID: 1
    Cxense type: free
    User access status: 3
       

    Did you find this article insightful?

    Yes
    No

    Across the site