JAKARTA: Police in Indonesia’s South Sulawesi province said yesterday they had found three training camps believed to be linked to the suspects in last month’s deadly bombing of a McDonald’s restaurant.
Local residents suspect that the camps were used by suspects in the attacks that hit the restaurant and a car showroom in the city of Makassar on Dec 5, police spokesman Senior Commissioner Subagio said.
The camps, now deserted, were located deep in the forests in separate districts, the spokesman said.
“Some of the residents said they joined the training but they quit because the exercises were too demanding,” Subagio said.
“We are not yet sure of the extent of the links between the camps and the Makassar bombing suspects because it’s only based on information from the locals. We’re investigating it,” he said.
Police have declared 10 people suspects in the Makassar case.
Of these, seven have been arrested, one died in the blast and two are on the run.
Three people, including the bomber, were killed in the McDonald’s attack.
Subagio said some of the suspects admitted they had received military training in the southern Philippines and in Afghanistan. – AFP
Did you find this article insightful?