No discussion of house arrest order at Pardons Board meeting, says judge


Photo: Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: The addendum order allegedly granting house arrest to Datuk Seri Najib Razak was not discussed or decided at the Pardons Board meeting that reduced his jail term and fine in the SRC International Sdn Bhd case, says High Court judge Justice Alice Loke.

“There was absolutely no mention of the house arrest,” she stated on Monday (Dec 22) while delivering her decision in Najib’s judicial review seeking to serve the remainder of his prison sentence at home.

Justice Loke noted that since the existence of the alleged addendum order is no longer in dispute, the key issue is whether it is valid and enforceable.

Najib, the former prime minister, is currently serving a six-year jail sentence for abuse of power, criminal breach of trust, and money laundering involving RM42mil siphoned from SRC International, a former 1MDB subsidiary. He has exhausted all appeals to overturn his conviction and sentence.

He is asking the court to verify whether the alleged addendum order, supposedly issued by former Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and granting him house arrest, is genuine.

On Feb 2 last year, the Pardons Board reduced Najib’s original 12-year jail term and RM210mil fine to six years’ imprisonment and a RM50mil fine.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read