Senator proposes RM100mil fine for social media platforms violating minimum age limit


KUALA LUMPUR: A senator proposed that social media service providers be fined RM100mil if they fail to comply with the minimum age policy of 16 years for opening new accounts.

Datuk Seri S. Vell Paari said it was time for the government to take firm action, in line with Australia's move to impose fines of up to AU$50mil (RM137mil) on any company that does not comply with the relevant regulations.

According to him, the proposal takes into account the billions of ringgit in profits made by social media companies, as well as the urgent need to protect children from exposure to harmful content in cyberspace.

"If the fine is too low, they (platform operators) won't be deterred. They can pay the fine and continue to commit the same offence," he said while debating the Supply Bill (Budget 2026) in the Dewan Negara on Monday (Dec 8).

He said the lack of control over users' age makes children easily exposed to various risks, including online fraud, cyberbullying, extreme content, and manipulation through artificial intelligence (AI) technology.

"Social media and AI are like knives. They can be used for education, business and communication, but without control, they can be damaging and harmful to children's minds," he said.

Last week, Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil was reported to have said the government aims to have all social media platforms implement digital user identity verification (eKYC) by the end of the second quarter of 2026 to enforce a minimum age limit of 16 for account creation.

He said the move was aimed at protecting children from online exploitation, with joint discussions with agencies and social media platforms having begun.

Meanwhile, Senator Datuk Abdul Halim Suleiman also urged the government to take more decisive action to control social media content, including TikTok and Instagram, which are reportedly becoming increasingly difficult to manage due to commercial algorithms that promote inappropriate content.

"If there are no laws to take action against this advertising, we are concerned that technology will erode our children's identity and discipline, leading them to worse things, starting from just 'wanting to try'. I urge the Minister of Communications to give serious attention to this issue," he said.

The Dewan Negara session will resume on Tuesday (Dec 9). – Bernama

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Study needed before any domestic violence act amendments, says Nancy
Papagomo found liable for defaming Guan Eng and son
Malaysia needs future-ready immigration system to counter global threats, says Saifuddin
Report lodged over alleged press harassment at Pakatan convention, says Johor Media Club
Home Ministry to table Bidor special refugee centre report to Cabinet
High Court orders retrial for Chegubard, influencer in defamation case
Sharp rise in sexual harassment cases against male victims, says Nancy
PKR MPs deny betraying mandate after attending Rafizi-Nik Nazmi event
PKR leaders must take responsibility for disloyalty to party, says Amirudin
Victims question delay in action on pending PJ case over alleged luxury watch scam

Others Also Read