Bosses willing to give minor offenders a chance


PETALING JAYA: Employers are all for employing individuals previously convicted of minor offences.

But they also have some proposals for the government to consider before amending the Registration of Criminals and Undesirable Persons Act 1969 (Act 7) to expunge the record of individuals convicted of non-violent or minor offences after a reasonable period.

Malaysian Employers Federa­tion (MEF) president Datuk Dr Syed Hussain Syed Husman said such individuals deserve a second chance and with the right treatment and guidance, they could become assets to the nation.

ALSO READ : Progressive shift towards rehabilitation

“It is our moral and social duty to help rehabilitate them into society,” he said.

“Employers are willing to give opportunities to these individuals. Nobody is perfect.

“Sometimes, due to circumstances and influence, people make mistakes.”

Syed Hussain urged the government to work with the industry to train these groups.

“Making them industry-ready is important. We should use HRD Corp funds to identify and allocate resources to meet industry needs,” he said.

Syed Hussain added that MEF is ready to work with the government to create such programmes and opportunities.

SME Association president Dr Chin Chee Seong said the move to expunge records must not be done automatically.

“The question is not how long before the records are expunged but what kind of offences they were involved in,” he said.

ALSO READ : Red tape blocks road to redemption

Chin said it is also important to maintain some information even when the record is expunged so that employers know where to place their workers.

For example, he said those involved in financial crime should not be placed in positions that involve money.

He also proposed that an assessment period of three years be given to such employees.

Based on the recommendation of employers, they should be allowed to expunge the records, Chin added.

Recently, Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the government is currently in the process of amending the Act.

The Act serves as a legal authority to register individuals who have been convicted of offences listed in the First and Second Schedules of Act 7 in the criminal register.

“The proposed amendments have been agreed upon in principle by the Cabinet on May 21,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year
Signs of change on the streets
Unhappy PKR lawmakers may opt for Bersama, say analysts
Analysts:�Voters will feel shortchanged by�resignations
Flower industry battles storm
Temporary stay only for refugees under DPP
Aqasha to play role of Hang Tuah in musical
Concerted effort to assist�floriculture industry
Major step for energy security
King grants audience to Anwar

Others Also Read