Ban vaping now to curb drug abuse among youths, CAP tells Health Ministry


PETALING JAYA: The Health Ministry must take bold and immediate action by banning vaping and curbing the sale of drug-laced vape liquids to save the future generation, says the Consumers Association of Penang (CAP).

In a statement on Sunday (July 13), CAP senior education officer NV Subbarow said the association was shocked and dismayed by Deputy Health Minister Lukanisman Awang Sauni’s recent disclosure that 96 investigation papers (IPs) had been opened since early this year involving vape cases containing drugs.

ALSO READ: Rise in vaping among youth an alarming trend, says Health Ministry

“More than 70% of these cases involved legally sold vape liquids containing synthetic cannabinoids and amphetamine-type drugs.

“It is disheartening to hear that the ministry is still merely working to curb the issue instead of moving to abolish the sale of these products," he said.

Subbarow said that with 96 cases being probed, the authorities had sufficient indication that a problem exists and should take action.

He added that the sale of such vape liquids to children and youths was worrying, with many countries already imposing outright bans or tightening regulations on vaping.

ALSO READ: State govts urged to ban vape sales to curb synthetic drug abuse

He also cited Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay, who in April warned state governments about the growing link between vaping and the abuse of synthetic drugs.

"Ayob Khan had revealed that school students as young as 13 had been caught using vape devices containing substances mixed with drugs, and cautioned that this could pose a new threat to the country if not curbed.

"He also noted that the drug fentanyl, known as the ‘zombie drug’, has already been detected in vape liquids," he said, adding that the drug is 100 times stronger than morphine and 20 to 40 times more potent than heroin.

Subbarow questioned the ministry’s delay in acting on or announcing a total ban on vaping in Malaysia.

ALSO READ: Act now or face vaping fallout, say health experts

“Vaping is far more dangerous than smoking. We must take firm steps now towards a vape-free generation,” he said.

He added that 65% of vape liquids tested were found to contain banned substances such as methamphetamine and ecstasy, both classified as poisons.

“The longer the ministry delays a total ban, the more it is opening the door for dangerous drugs to... harm our youth.

"The younger generation is keen to try the new drugs," he said, adding that they seemed to want a "zombie lifestyle" instead of a healthy one.

ALSO READ: Govt to curb online sale of drug-laced vapes and other banned items, says Fahmi

Subbarow urged the ministry to take bold and immediate action, including implementing a nationwide ban on vaping products, to safeguard the country’s future.

On Saturday (July 12), Lukanisman reportedly said that the ministry will step up cooperation with the police to combat the rising sale of vape products containing illicit drugs.

The Deputy Minister said 96 IPs involving drug-laced vape liquids were recorded between early last year and March, with over 70% testing positive for synthetic cannabinoids and amphetamines.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Setiawangsa residents to continue receiving support despite vacant seat, says Hannah Yeoh
Suspect in woman's stabbing caught, remanded for seven days
M'sia to showcase leadership in vital areas at World Health Assembly in Geneva
Thunderstorms and heavy rain expected in five states until 1pm
Cops on the hunt for man who stabbed woman in the neck in Kota Setar
Lecturer loses RM304,427 in non-existent online investment scam
Nurturing the next generation of culinary talent
Chinese national held for trespassing at KLIA
Group: Traders need training to master system
Pace initiative to boost human capital growth

Others Also Read