‘No travel ban on Fahmi Reza’


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman has made clear that there is no official travel restriction on Fahmi Reza amid claims from the artist that he had been prevented from travelling abroad.

The explanation came about following a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office yesterday, asking the police to look into the matter.

Fahmi, who bills himself as a “political graphic designer”, had said that he was stopped by immigration officers at KL Inter-national Airport 2 (KLIA2) on Saturday when he wanted to board a flight to Singapore.

But Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain indicated yesterday that there is no official travel restriction on Fahmi, though his name is on a movement monitoring list for internal records and reference purposes by the police due to ongoing investigations involving him.

“However, it must be emphasised that this list does not imply any restrictions but is part of standard monitoring procedures implemented by the authorities,” he said in a statement, as reported by Bernama.

Razarudin said the confusion occurred during the exit clearance process on Saturday, resulting in the erroneous issuance of a movement restriction order, adding that the matter is being reviewed with appropriate steps to be taken to refine existing procedures.

He said the police remained committed to protecting and respecting the freedom of movement of every Malaysian “and the individual concerned is free to travel in and out of the country as usual, subject to any regulations set by the Immigration Depart­ment and other relevant laws”.

Earlier yesterday, the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement that the government upholds individual freedom as long as they do not compromise national security or violate existing laws.

“As such, the police must provide further clarification regarding this matter,” said the statement.

On Saturday, Fahmi wrote on Facebook that he had wanted to go to Singapore for a two-day trip to attend a concert.

However, he said he was stopped at the immigration counter at KLIA2 and was told that Bukit Aman has not permitted him to go overseas.

Following Razarudin’s statement yesterday, Fahmi issued a response, saying that the explanation from the various authorities over the matter indicated that they were pointing fingers at one another.

“I do not see any party from the government being brave enough to take responsibility for their mistake which restricted my freedom to travel,” he said.

“It is easy to say that there is no official restriction. But the reality is I got barred. I still could not travel abroad. I have been denied my right as a citizen,” he said.

“You always tell me to use the right channel, right? OK, we meet in court,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre
Kelantan Customs seizes nearly 2 million sticks of smuggled cigarettes
Fuel prices Aug 20-26: Unsubsidised petrol, diesel prices all up 10-20sen
Govt has final say on SC oversight of Tabung Haji, says chairman
Immigration lorry hit by car just before fatal crash, say cops
Former 1MDB CEO denies deal with late Sri Ram to testify in favour of company
Suing ex-MACC chief, AG not an act of revenge, says Shahrir
Bersama’s Ayer Keroh candidate draws on multicultural roots to reach voters
Immigration lorry crash: Family calls for answers, transparent probe

Others Also Read