Malaysia calls for extension of Myanmar's post-quake ceasefire, says Anwar


KUALA LUMPUR: As Myanmar’s post-quake ceasefire period ends on Apr 30, Malaysia has sent fresh appeals for an extension, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

The appeal, the Prime Minister said, was sent to both the Chairman of Myanmar's State Administration Council, Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, and the Myanmar National Unity Government Prime Minister Mahn Win Khaing Than.

Anwar said the ceasefire was crucial to enable the delivery of humanitarian aid to the country.

“The allegations of both sides that the ceasefire is not being observed, so we have sent another appeal to say that extend the ceasefire and make sure to respect it otherwise the people will suffer,” he told reporters after the ground-breaking ceremony for the Rumah Belia Madani and Rumah Mampu Milik Mukim Batu here on Tuesday(Apr 29).

On Apr 23, Myanmar’s military extended a ceasefire it announced in the wake of a deadly earthquake last month by a week to April 30.

The move will help accelerate reconstruction in quake-affected areas, said the Junta’s regime’s.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Myanmar , Anwar Ibrahim , Earthquake , Ceasefire

Next In Nation

Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026

Others Also Read