May decision on Sabah and Sarawak seats


Good move for youths: Fadillah (centre) attending the closing ceremony of the Ihya Ramadan Camp organised by Sahabat Amal Negeri Sarawak in Kuching. Also present were SAC Chairman Wan Lukmanhakim Wan Sajali (left) and Director of the Malaysian Islamic Skills Institute Sarawak Zaizurina Mansor. — Bernama

KUCHING: The quota of parliamentary seats for Sarawak and Sabah, and the boundaries of their continental shelves, are expected to be finalised in May, says Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof.

The Deputy Prime Minister said the matter would be raised and refined at the Malaysia Agreement 1963 Implementation Action Council (MTPMA63) meeting.

“The meeting will be chaired by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim together with Sarawak Premier Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg and Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor.

“They will discuss the direction because interpretation of the law at the federal and state levels regarding these matters have not been agreed upon or are not the same.

“Hopefully there will be a decision,” he told reporters at an Ihya Ramadan camp closing ceremony yesterday.

On March 13, Fadillah was reported to have said that the Government had successfully resolved nine claims related to the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) so far.

MA63 refers to the legal instrument signed in 1963 as the basis of the formation of the Federation of Malaysia.

On the Ihya Ramadan camp, Fadillah said it is an on ongoing initiative in shaping the character of Muslim teenagers with noble morals.

“Since it was introduced in 2013, this camp has become an important platform in shaping the personality of teenagers through the appreciation of Ramadan.

“A good heart will push us to do good things,” he said, Bernama reported.

Fadillah said he would also continue to support programmes that emphasise training and education, including how technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI) and Big Data can be used for administration and the well-being of society.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Unemployed man charged with murder ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment
Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS
Over 350 landowners appeal Penang’s revised land tax, says Chow
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones
Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros
Unity and harmony vital to preserve Malaysians' well-being, says Tiong
Steven Sim hospitalised for extreme fatigue
Two men arrested for domestic violence and intimidation in Tawau
No price gouging during Ramadan, Sabah consumer group urges businesses
Fashion designer Jovian Mandagie fails in appeal against bankruptcy order

Others Also Read