Carry out structural tests, owners of old KK buildings urged


KOTA KINABALU: Owners of old buildings, including the one where a woman was injured after concrete collapsed on her, have ignored the City Hall’s advisory to carry out structural integrity tests for the safety of premises.

Kota Kinabalu City Hall (DBKK) director-general Lifred Wong said notices had been issued to owners of old and dilapidated buildings, including those in the Segama area, to carry out structural tests to ensure they meet safety standards.

“Last year, DBKK issued many notices, especially to owners who did not maintain buildings, especially dilapidated buildings,” he said when met at a buka puasa event.

Wong was commenting on the incident where a 55-year-old restaurant operator from China sustained a fractured leg when concrete fell from the first floor of a four-storey shophouse in Segama.

It happened around closing time at 8pm on March 7.

The woman, identified as Wang Wei, her husband and their son operate a two-floor Chinese Muslim halal restaurant.

Wong said although the collap­sed floor did not show any early signs of risk, precautions still need to be taken.

“Building owners in Segama need to appoint a professional engineer to conduct a structural integrity test. This aims to assess the strength of the building and determine whether it is still safe for use.

“DBKK has the right to order for the test to be carried out, especially for old buildings that are potentially dangerous. In terms of legal action, there is indeed a provision, but for now we want to persuade the owners to act,” he said.

Kota Kinabalu MP Datuk Chan Foong Hin said discussions are being held with DBKK for mandatory structural tests to be carried out for public safety.

Several buildings constructed in the late 1970s and early 1980s had to be abandoned after they were found unsafe as sea sand used in the construction had eroded the steel reinforcements in the buildings.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Sabah , buildings , safety , collapse

Next In Nation

Grazing grassland plan aims to reduce human-elephant conflict in Lahad Datu
Bersatu takes serious view of PAS chief Hadi's statement on reviewing mutual ties
Four held, seizures worth RM16.4mil made in Johor drug raids
More than 160,000 SPM school leavers offered IPTA spots
Rising cases show male sexual harassment victims feel safer to report abuse, says Tenaganita
Selangor allocates RM20mil to subsidise 50% of state university fees
MMEA nabbed 4,107 migrants, 316 smugglers in 2026 so far, says deputy DG
Three Myanmar nationals remanded over compatriot's death in Kepong
Motorcycle theft gang busted with arrest of six, including teen ringleader
Jamal Yunos makes public apology to settle KJ's defamation suit

Others Also Read