E-ART system proposal to enhance public transportation to be tabled late March, says Johor MB


JOHOR BARU: The elevated Automated Rapid Transit (E-ART) system’s proposal will be held later this month, says Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Onn Hafiz Ghazi.

He added that the state government was reinforcing its commitment to enhance public transportation within Johor Baru city, emphasising that an efficient system is no longer a luxury but a necessity.

“This move aims to ensure seamless mobility for the people while reducing travel time, costs, and traffic congestion,” he said in a Facebook post here on Saturday (March 9).

Onn Hafiz said that he recently met with Prime Minister’s Department Public-Private Partnership Unit (Ukas) director general Muhammad Razman Abu Samah where Johor’s public transport plans were a key topic in their discussion.

“One of the primary proposals raised was the acceleration of the E-ART system, which is set to serve three key corridors, namely Skudai, Tebrau, and Iskandar Puteri. This initiative is expected to significantly enhance public transport accessibility in high-impact areas.

“Considering factors such as cost, implementation timeline, and current demand, the Request for Proposal (RFP) for the E-ART system is scheduled to be launched in March,” he added.

Onn Hafiz said if everything proceeds smoothly, the project was expected to commence by the third quarter of this year.

He added the Johor government, with support from the federal government, remains committed to advancing public transportation infrastructure to improve the quality of life for locals.  

Last month, the government announced that bids would be called for the E-ART project to disperse traffic in the city in view of an expected increase in congestion with next year’s completion of a Johor Baru-Singapore link.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said the elevated ART was the preferred option over a Light Rail Transit (LRT), which would take longer to construct.

“The elevated ART concept and facilities are easier and faster to implement compared with the LRT, which could take five to seven years to complete at the earliest. It is also more flexible as its tracks can be utilised by both rail and bus as opposed to the LRT,” he said.

The E-ART was proposed by the state government last year to disperse traffic in the city centre as the Rapid Transit System Link (RTS Link), which connects Johor Baru and Singapore, is set to bring in huge numbers of people once it is completed.

Loke said his ministry presented the proposal for an elevated ART to the Cabinet in December, 2024, where the Cabinet then decided that RFP would be called by the Private Public Partnership Unit soon.

“This is following the Johor government’s proposal and it is needed in the state to help disperse traffic,” he said, adding that he had also conveyed the message to Onn Hafiz, who had proposed for the E-ART in April last year.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bersatu refutes Hadi’s allegations, maintains that it upholds consultation, discussion within PN
Missing hiker Nur Izzati Humaira yet to be found, says Bomba
Melaka trishaws play bhangra tunes to welcome Sikh pilgrims
Teen nabbed for allegedly slashing security supervisor at Cheras mini mart
Malaysia Airlines expands fleet with 200th Boeing aircraft, new generation Boeing 737-8 jet
NS State Assembly should be dissolved to return mandate to people, says Loke
Queen launches Navy’s littoral mission ship batch 2, Tunku Laksamana Abdul Jalil
Teen’s body found in Dungun drowning, brother still missing
53 vie for Unduk Ngadau Harvest Queen crown this year
Friends devastated after failing to save siblings swept away in river

Others Also Read