Respect Pahang Ruler’s decree, says Fahmi


PUTRAJAYA: The government believes that Pahang Ruler Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah’s decree regarding the addendum order will be respected by all, says Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil.

He expressed the Federal Government’s gratitude to Sultan Abdullah for His Royal Highness’ call for an end to further discussions on the matter involving former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

“The government welcomes His Royal Highness’ decree on issues surrounding the addendum order not to be further discussed,” Fahmi said during his weekly press conference yesterday.

When asked whether action would be taken against those who defy the directive, Fahmi stated that the government is confident the public will respect the decree and allow the courts to handle the matter.

On Thursday night, during the Himpunan Pahang Bermunajat Raja Berdaulat programme at the Pahang state mosque, the Sultan stressed that the issue is currently going through the legal process and should be respected by all parties.

On Jan 6, it was reported that a letter from the Pahang Sultanate Council, signed by Comptroller of the Pahang Sultan’s Household, Datuk Ahmad Khirrizal Ab Rahman, confirmed the existence of a royal addendum related to Najib’s pardon.

The letter stated that Sultan Abdullah had ordered Najib to serve the remainder of his jail term under house arrest.

Subsequently, on Jan 20, the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) applied for a gag order, citing the sensitive nature of the case.

The Kuala Lumpur High Court has scheduled April 28 to hear the AGC’s application.

Separately, Fahmi addressed concerns over the Malaysian Media Council’s independence, stating that government representatives in the council will only serve to provide feedback and expedite processes.

He said there should be no issue with the involvement of representatives from Bernama and RTM, both of which are part of the media industry.

“Most councils have government representatives, and this shouldn’t be an issue.

“We have also discussed the matter with the pro-tem committee members who drafted the Bill.

“The two representatives, as stated in the Dewan Rakyat, will not be politicians but media practitioners such as from Bernama and RTM,” he said.

Previously, in welcoming the Dewan Rakyat’s passing of the Malaysian Media Council Bill 2024, civil society groups raised concerns over the government’s presence in the council, arguing that it could compromise the council’s independence.

The Bill, which aims to move the local mass media industry towards self-regulation, was passed through a voice vote after its third reading by Deputy Communications Minister Teo Nie Ching.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027
Govt expands AI development to rural areas to improve tech literacy
Removing numbers from counters has curtailed illegal entry syndicates, says Johor Immigration
46,542 commuting accidents recorded in 2025, says PERKESO
Man nabbed after failed snatch theft attempt in hospital parking lot

Others Also Read