Key figure in 1MDB probe appeared familiar to Saudi royals, witness tells court


PUTRAJAYA: The High Court was told that a key figure in the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal, Eric Tan, appeared familiar to the Saudi royal family during a visit by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) in Riyadh.

MACC former director of the anti-money laundering and forfeiture of properties division Fikri Ab Rahim testified that Tan, a known close associate of Low Taek Jho, was already present at a Riyadh palace with his lawyer Datuk Selva Kumar Mookiah when MACC's task force came in 2015 to record statements from Saudi royalty over a purported donation given by the country to Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

The whereabouts of both Low, or also known as Jho Low, and Tan are unknown until today.

“His lawyer told us that Tan was ready to give a statement. He looked very comfortable and familiar with the three Saudi princes that were there. He could even interact directly with them,” Fikri said at the RM2.28bil 1MDB trial here on Thursday (Feb 13).

The witness however said he was unsure how Tan could be there in Riyadh as his presence was not arranged by the task force.

Other MACC officials who went on the trip were Asst Comm Mohd Nasharudin Amir, then Deputy Chief Commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki (now Chief Commissioner), along with Tan Sri Dzulkifli Ahmad.

According to the witness, the task force was informed during the visit that they could not take Saudi Prince Saud Abdulaziz Al-Saud's statement directly and the prince had immunity.

The prince, however, agreed to give his statement through an appointed representative named Mohamad Abdullah Al-Koman.

Fikri said that he was not involved in the recording of the prince's statement as it was done by another investigating officer.

On Oct 30 last year, Najib was ordered by the High Court to enter his defence on four counts of using his position to obtain RM2.28bil gratification from 1MDB's funds and 21 counts of money laundering involving the same amount.

The hearing continues before Justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah next Tuesday (Feb 18).

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read