New rules proposed for Muslims attending non-Muslim events, funerals or houses of worship


KUALA LUMPUR: Event organisers must get the authorities’ approval and the views of Islamic authorities when inviting leaders or Muslims for festive events, funerals or events held in non-Muslim houses of worship.

These were among the updates to existing guidelines involving Muslims in such gatherings, to be finalised by the Muzakarah Committee of the National Council for Islamic Religious Affairs (MKI) at month’s end.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Religious Affairs) Senator Datuk Dr Mohd Na'im Mokhtar said that the current guidelines were updated to prevent incidents which could touch on the sensitivities of Muslims.

"The guidelines underline the involvement of Muslims in non-Muslim festive celebrations.

"Among them is that Muslims involved in such celebrations must not participate in actions that could touch on the sensitivities of the Muslim community," he said when replying to Muhammad Fawwaz Mohamad Jan (PN-Permatang Pauh) in a written reply in Parliament on Wednesday (Feb 5).

The updated guidelines, he said, included speeches or singing and distributing pamphlets that propagate other religions.

Also included were performances or speeches which insult or belittle Muslim beliefs or holding events during Muslim daily prayer times including during the Friday prayer.

Events must not be held close to mosques, suraus, Muslim cemeteries or land donated for religious use through wakaf, the proposed guidelines stated.

"The premises used for the events must not display non-Muslim religious symbols," he added.

Mohd Na'im said that the proposed updated guidelines would be finalised by the MKI meeting scheduled to be held between Feb 25 and 27.

"The updated guidelines will complement the existing guidelines which could still be used as a guide.

"Any existing guidelines which contradict the new ones would be considered redundant," he added.

Mohd Na'im was also responding in a written reply to a similar question raised by Datuk Ahmad Saad (PN-Pokok Sena) who wanted to know whether guidelines were in place regarding non-Muslim religious celebrations attended by Muslims.

Mohd Na'im said existing guidelines are contained under the Guidelines for Muslims Attending non-Muslim Festive Celebrations which were endorsed by MKI Fatwa Muzakarah Committee in 2005.

He added this includes the Guidelines on Content With Islamic Elements in the Media which was published by the Islamic Development Department of Malaysia (Jakim) last year.

Recently, Housing and Local Government Minister Nga Kor Ming came under fire from Islamist party PAS for a Christmas celebration held at his ministry.

Nga, however, said the celebration is a reflection of how the diversity of Malaysia's society is its strength and uniqueness.

He also said all festivals were celebrated at the ministry, including Hari Raya Aidilfitri, Deepavali, Christmas and Chinese New Year.

In 2022, PAS also said Muslims should steer away from Bon Odori festivals, saying the Japanese festival has elements of Buddhist rituals that could sway one’s akidah (faith).

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read