Rescuers save climber exposed to extreme cold on Mt Kinabalu


KOTA KINABALU: Firemen had to carry a male climber who was exposed to extreme cold down from the Panalaban base camp on Mount Kinabalu.

Ranau Fire and Rescue Services Department chief Ridwan Mohd Taib said a team of 10 people from its Mountain Search and Rescue (Mosar) team led by Jayrell Tony were dispatched to the location after receiving a distress call from a mountain guide at 2.55pm on Monday (June 24).

The team was made up of volunteer mountain guides as well as two Sabah Parks search and rescue team members.

"The team arrived five minutes later as the base camp is just a kilometre from the Mosar station.

"The 34-year-old local man was given first aid by the team," he said on Tuesday (June 25).

Ridwan said the victim was carried down on a stretcher to Timpohon Gate, the main starting point Mount Kinabalu climbers begin their ascent.

"The victim was taken to the Ranau Hospital for further treatment," he said, adding that the operation was called off at 9.20pm.

It is believed that the cold weather Mount Kinabalu is due to non-stop rain.

Heavy rain over the last few days also triggered at least two landslides early Sunday (June 23).

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Mount Kinabalu , Rescue , Mosar , Extreme Cold , Heavy Rain ,

   

Next In Nation

Malaysian skills certificate holders qualify for jobs in public sector, says Zahid
51 squatter houses demolished, six illegals caught in Sabah
2023 STPM: Johor, Sabah, Pahang record most candidates scoring perfect CGPA
PM receives courtesy call from ICC prosecutor Karim Khan
Fair trial rights unaffected with passing of Child Witness Evidence (Amendment) Bill, says Azalina
Cases of heat-related illnesses increase to 112, says Nadma
Kidnapped six-year-old girl finally reunited with family
ERL, Arex launch new airport rail bundle connecting Kuala Lumpur and Incheon
Expatriate satellite centre expands operations to KLIA Terminal 2
Ultrasound gel recalled due to bacterial contamination

Others Also Read