Barisan acknowledges Sungai Bakap seat traditionally belongs to PKR


SERDANG: Barisan Nasional acknowledges that the Sungai Bakap seat in Penang previously belonged to PKR, says Barisan secretary-general Datuk Seri Zambry Abd Kadir.

Therefore, he said the question of who from Barisan will be fielded as a candidate in the upcoming Sungai Bakap state by-election does not arise.

Instead, he said, Barisan would give its full support to whoever is chosen as the Madani government's candidate for the polls.

ALSO READ: Sungai Bakap goes to the polls on July 6

"We respect that tradition, but what is important is the spirit of togetherness that we discussed and agreed upon regarding the candidate, who will be officially announced by our leadership," he told reporters after the launch of the Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) Food Security Blueprint on Friday (June 7).

On Thursday (June 6), the Election Commission (EC) set July 6 as polling day for the by-election, with nomination of candidates on June 22 and early voting on July 2.

The seat fell vacant after its incumbent, Nor Zamri Latiff, 56, of PAS, died on May 24 due to stomach inflammation. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Tampin cops arrest man for repeatedly raping daughter since 2019
Kota Kinabalu Bomba removes tree that fell on lorry and car
Teresa Kok may be named new PAC deputy chairman
Man trying to smuggle 160 star tortoises to Malaysia held at Chennai airport
Selangor speaker tells Mohamed Azmin to retract unsubstantiated claims
King's installation: 14 roads in KL to close temporarily for ceremony
PM's Dept to propose a syariah judicial appointments commission, says Mohd Na'im
US authorities hunt for clues, but motive of man who tried to assassinate Trump remains elusive
Terengganu MACC arrests couple for procurement abuse
Malaysia, Uzbekistan agree to expedite collaboration in various fields, says Anwar

Others Also Read