June 27 decision on Malaysian Bar's application for leave to challenge Zahid's DNAA


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here set June 27 to decide on a leave application filed by the Malaysian Bar to challenge the Attorney General's decision to halt proceedings against Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi in his Yayasan Akalbudi corruption case.

Judge Amarjeet Singh also fixed, on Thursday (April 18), the same date to decide on the Bar's application to refer three constitutional questions over the same matter to the Federal Court for determination.

The Malaysian Bar, in an application filed on Dec 2 last year, named the the Attorney General (AG) and Ahmad Zahid as respondents.

It sought relief from the court for an order of certiorari to remove and quash the AG's decision on Sept 4, last year to apply for a discharge not amounting to an acquittal (DNAA) in Ahmad Zahid's case, and a declaration that the Sept 4 decision was null and void and made in excess of the jurisdiction granted to the AG.

On Sept 4, the High Court granted Ahmad Zahid a DNAA for 47 charges related to criminal breach of trust, corruption and money laundering involving Yayasan Akalbudi funds, after the prosecution informed that the Attorney General's Chambers wanted to halt the proceedings against Ahmad Zahid to scrutinise new evidence.

Earlier, lawyer Datuk Ambiga Sreenevasan, representing the Malaysian Bar, submitted that the Bar has locus standi to file a judicial review application.

"This is not a matter of the Malaysian Bar being a 'busybody' or meddling in the mere private affairs of an individual.

"It pertains to charges brought against an individual who previously held public office (as Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs, up to 2018) and against whom charges were dropped upon their reappointment to public office (as Deputy Prime Minister, in 2022)," she said.

Ambiga also submitted that the decision to apply for a DNAA for the second respondent (Ahmad Zahid) was illegal and contrary to the decision of the High Court.

According to the counsel, on Jan 24, 2022, the High Court held that a prima facie case against Ahmad Zahid had been established and ordered him to enter his defence to the 47 charges against him.

Meanwhile, Senior Federal Counsel Shamsul Bolhassan, representing the AG, countered that the Bar had failed to prove that the AG's decision was indeed tainted with illegality, nor did they back up their contentions with compelling evidence.

According to Shamsul, the AG was acting well within his prosecutorial discretion under Article 145(3) of the Federal Constitution which states that he can institute, conduct or discontinue any proceedings for an offence.

Ahmad Zahid's counsel Datuk Hisyam Teh Poh Teik argued that the Bar's application is already academic in light of the decision of the Criminal High Court to allow the order for a DNAA.

"The applicant (Bar) has no locus standi to file this application. In short, the applicant is a mere busybody and not adversely affected by the decision to apply for a DNAA.

"The applicant has also clearly failed to prove, among others, its locus standi in filing the application. Therefore, the leave application should be dismissed by this court,” he said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

FSO technology can solve Internet access issues in challenging areas, says Fahmi
Anwar witnesses six MOU exchanges between Malaysia, Uzbekistan
Approved rural projects in S'wak that have not been implemented will be looked into, says Zahid
Kelantanese women avoid cancer screening for fear of losing husbands, burdening family
Ulu Tiram attack: Suspect not JI member, initial link made due to father's past, says IGP
Ulu Tiram attack: Slain hero Konstabel Ahmad Azza Fahmi laid to rest
Motorist abandons car, dives into monsoon drain to avoid mob after accident
Melaka Immigration Department busts illegal bird's nest factory in late-night raid
Ulu Tiram attack: 'Wait for me to come back', Konstabel Fahmi's last words to his friends
Ulu Tiram attack: National hero Konstabel Muhamad Syafiq laid to rest

Others Also Read