Keningau couple jailed for causing hurt to their two children


KOTA KINABALU: A married couple in Keningau district who pleaded guilty to causing hurt to their children, aged 13 and five, have been sentenced to jail on Wednesday (April 17).

The woman, 36, was sentenced to seven years and four months in prison, while the man, 27, was sentenced to 36 months in prison.

Keningau OCPD Supt Yampil Garai said the man, who faced two charges for voluntarily causing hurt under Section 323 of the Penal Code, was sentenced to 10 months in jail with a RM2,000 fine, in default six months jail for each of the charges.

“He did not pay the fine,” he said in a statement on Wednesday (April 17).

As for the woman, she was sentenced to a two-year jail term respectively for the two charges under Section 324 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing hurt by a dangerous weapon and a RM10,000 fine, in default a year’s jail.

Supt Yampil said she also received the same sentence as her husband for the one offence under Section 323 and did not pay her fines.

He said the court ordered the sentence to run consecutively.

Earlier, the court heard that the couple had caused hurt to two children under their care between March 24 and March 30, this year.

They had committed the offence between 4pm and 4.10pm in a rented room in the Keningau township area.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Euginie Meredith Gilbert prosecuted while Sessions Court judge Flavian Edward Henry presided.

The couple had pleaded guilty on Tuesday (April 16) and their next mention date was supposed to be on May 17, but brought forward to Wednesday (April 17) after the court received all the documents and reports it needed from the hospital.

Previously, Supt Yampil said the teenager was the woman’s stepson from her previous marriage, while the younger boy was adopted by the couple.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read