Expect less congestion at Johor Causeway over CNY period, says Loke


An aerial view of the Johor Causeway. - THOMAS YONG/The Star

IPOH: Action has been taken to ensure smoother traffic flow at the Johor Causeway over the Chinese New Year period, says Anthony Loke.

The Transport Minister said although some congestion can be expected at the Causeway, traffic flow had been improved.

He said it used to take a few hours for traffic congestion to clear.

"Contra-flow lanes will be activated to help with traffic flow and more Immigration and Customs counters will be open," he said after launching the open payment system for KTMB's Komuter trains at the Ipoh Railway station here on Thursday (Feb 8).

Loke said capacity would be maximised over the festive period.

On Feb 6, the Johor Immigration Department said it anticipated that more than 400,000 travellers would enter Malaysia through the Causeway and Second Link during Chinese New Year.

Its director Baharuddin Tahir said they had implemented several measures to alleviate traffic congestion at the Bangunan Sultan Iskandar and Sultan Abu Bakar Complex Customs, Immigration and Quarantine checkpoints.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Nurse found unconscious by roadside in Negri Sembilan
Malaysia calling for cooler heads in Middle East, says Defence Minister
Allegations against Selangor MB a 'desperate tactic', says pol-sec
CIA translates nasi lemak as 'fat rice', features dish in its World Factbook
Chong Wei stranded in Paris, says he misses son … and nasi lemak
Huge durian tree falls, obliterates house in Negri
MCMC lodges police reports against Chegubard, Salim Iskandar and Papagomo
Give priority to students' health before conducting outdoor activities, says Dr Dzul
DNB denies claims of impropriety over 5G rollout
Toddler drowns in Seri Iskandar varsity lake

Others Also Read