PUTRAJAYA: The trailer driver who was involved in the accident which claimed the lives of two motorcyclists is expected to be charged in court tomorrow.
Putrajaya OCPD Asst Comm A. Asmadi Abdul Aziz said police had been instructed by the deputy public prosecutor to charge the driver for causing death by reckless or dangerous driving under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act.
“We have obtained a further two-day remand for the lorry driver and will produce him at the Putrajaya Magistrate’s Court tomorrow,” he said when contacted yesterday.
The driver of the trailer rammed into more than a dozen vehicles at KM5.7 Jalan Persiaran Utara near Putrajaya heading towards Puchong on Wednesday. He was initially remanded for four days starting on Thursday.
The remand order against the 29-year-old suspect was issued by magistrate Irza Zulaikha Rohanuddin at the Putrajaya Magistrate’s Court. The 10.15am incident involved 14 vehicles, including a police motorcycle.
The two victims were identified as Pos Malaysia employee, Faris Haziq Abu Bakar, 25, and Yuswar Mohd Uyus, 39, who worked in the Ampang Court. Six other victims who were injured were sent to Hospital Serdang and Hospital Putrajaya for treatment.Meanwhile, Transport Minister Anthony Loke said there are enough laws to be used against lorry or trailer drivers who commit road offences. In fact, the lorry operators themselves acknowledged the severity of the penalties.“Enforcement is carried out continuously and rigorously by the Road Transport Department, especially against lorries carrying excessive loads. We are aware of the public’s concern regarding the recent accidents and will continue monitoring and taking action.
“Many say the actions are not strict, but within the existing regulations, the actions and laws are stringent enough. If they are found carrying an excessive load, not only can they be fined, but their vehicles can be impounded and forfeited,” he told reporters after attending the Career@Transportation Programme in Nilai, reported Bernama.
Loke said the ministry always ensured that a comprehensive approach is implemented to strike a balance between industry needs and road safety.
Commenting on yesterday’s programme, Loke said more than 2,000 jobs are being offered in the transportation sector, which includes air, land and maritime.
All candidates with bachelor’s degrees, diplomas, Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia and skills certificates have the opportunity to benefit from the two-day programme at Aeon Nilai, Negri Sembilan.
“This approach aims to expose the public to job opportunities in the transportation sector. We certainly need more workers, especially bus and train drivers in the Klang Valley.
“For bus drivers, we aim to make them more competent. Attractive allowances and salaries are being offered,” he said.
Among the companies involved in the programme are Prasarana Malaysia Bhd, Express Rail Link Sdn Bhd, Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd, Malaysia Rail Link, Malaysia Airports Holding Bhd, AirAsia, Batik Air, MYAirline Sdn Bhd, Ground Team Red and Malaysia Aviation Group.