KOTA KINABALU: There are no cases of newborn babies being snatched away from their stateless mothers in any of Sabah’s health clinics or hospitals, says the state Health Department.
Department director Dr Asits Sanna said a recent report by a news portal on Sept 15 claiming otherwise, and alleging that there had been several similar cases in the Lahad Datu hospital were not true.
The report claimed that from the three of such cases documented, two of the mothers regained custody of their babies, while another mother who was faced with the prospect of losing custody, was found dead with her child.
"We have instructed for an immediate investigation on these claims and we found there are no such cases," said Dr Asits in a statement, Saturday (Sept 16).
He said all patients who go to any government health facilities would be treated with the same respect and rights, according to the constitution.
For abandoned or neglected children, the hospital would refer such cases to child protectors in accordance with the Children’s Act 2001, he said.
Dr Asits said a police report had been lodged on Saturday (Sept 16) at the Lahad Datu police station to take necessary actions to deny the claims made in the report.
"We are ready to give our full cooperation if there is a need for any probe to be conducted following the report," he said.
"We take such claims seriously and assure all that the department is committed to protecting the rights and welfare of all its clients," he said.
Dr Asits said the department would also conduct its own probe on all claims, reports and complaints to improve its services to the community.