KOTA KINABALU: There was little sign of a “Black Monday” strike at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital here on Monday (April 3) afternoon.
A general check saw services carrying on as usual amid concerns about a planned three-day strike by contract doctors nationwide.
Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Rose Nani Mudin said Sabahans do not need to worry about public healthcare here as the department would do its best to ensure that the healthcare service to the people continues as usual.
Asked if there was any contract doctor in Sabah involved in this strike so far, she said it was best that she does not say much about it.
“To make sure the situation remains as calm as possible, I personally think I should not come out with many statements.
“However, the Sabah Health Department will ensure that health services to the people will continue. Thank you for your understanding. I appreciate it very much,” Dr Rose said in a brief text message on Monday.
The Mogok Doktor Malaysia’s strike planned for Monday to Wednesday (April 5) was to see contractor doctors taking emergency or medical leave for the period as a show of protest for not being hired as permanent staff.
The organisers also claimed there could be some 3,000 resignations in the month of April.
It is also learnt that leave had been frozen and warnings issued against taking part in the strike at some hospitals.
The group also launched a Black Monday campaign where it urged those supporting its cause to change their social media profile pictures to black or monochrome.
Non-contract doctors have been told to wear black as a show of support.