It's 'toxic', I'm slippin' under: Five saved from rotting fish fumes in KK

KOTA KINABALU: Firemen came to the rescue of five men who were exposed to "toxic" fumes from rotting fish inside a container at a marine product processing plant in Sepanggar here.

The five, including a 23-year-old who lost consciousness, were evacuated from the container by the Fire and Rescue Department's Hazmat (hazardous materials) Unit.

A spokesman for the department said in a statement Sunday (March 26) the victims, aged between 19 and 38, were sent to hospital for further medical attention.

He said they received a distress call from a marine products company at 8.30pm on Saturday (March 25).

The Hazmat team led by Floyd Petrus Gasam went to investigate as the complainant said that the foul smell was overwhelming and could be toxic.

After a sweep of the area, the team found no hazardous substances and the operation ended at 10pm, the spokesman added.

All the victims were reportedly recuperating.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Shop lot in Subang damaged in fire
Six nabbed after brawl in Johor
DPM Fadillah arrives in Brussels in mission to defend palm oil industry over EU deforestation regulation
Ipoh starts its ‘no plastic bag’ on Saturdays drive
Hotel guests flee through windows to escape fire
CarSifu revs up with FMCCAM
‘OPR hike a pre-emptive measure’
Labuan ferry delays add to holiday-goers’ dismay
‘Govt must walk the talk on press freedom’

Others Also Read