KUALA KRAI: Residents in low-lying and flood-prone areas here have begun preparing for the possibility of floods following several rounds of heavy rain in Kelantan last week.
They have made early preparations by moving their household items to the upper floors of their homes, parking their vehicles on higher ground and finding safe shelter for their livestock.
Redzuan Seman, 32, from Kampung Murin in Tanah Merah, said every time it rains heavily, he would feel anxious because his house is located near a river.
“Although the rain has stopped, I will continue to stay alert because the northeast monsoon season is ongoing.
“I will always make sure that important documents and valuable items at home are kept in a safe place to avoid panic if floods occur,” he told Bernama.
Mohd Fadhlisyam Mohd Sekeri, 33, of Kampung Batu Mengkebang, Kuala Krai, said he decided to move his seven cows to higher ground because the nearby river had started to overflow.
“The cowshed is located in a low-lying area and close to the river, so non-stop heavy rain might cause the water level to rise and overflow, flooding the area,” he explained.
Based on data from the Irrigation and Drainage Department’s flood information portal as of 10am yesterday, Sungai Lebir in Kampung Tualang, Kuala Krai had exceeded the danger level with a reading of 35.7m, while Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang, Pasir Mas was at the warning level after recording 8.38m.
Meanwhile, Penang is the latest state to be affected by floods with two relief centres (PPS) opened following heavy rain for more than two hours in several areas from 3.30pm on Friday.
State Environment and Welfare Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said as of 2am yesterday, 38 people from nine families were taking shelter at Dewan Komuniti Kubang Menerong in the Seberang Perai Utara district, while 21 people from eight families are at SK Bakap Indah in Seberang Perai Selatan.
“The situation was made worse by the high-tide phenomenon.
“Most of the houses were inundated up to 0.6m, but the flood started to recede in several areas (on Friday) night,” he said.
In KEDAH, Bandar Baru district Civil Defence Force officer Abdul Rahim Khairuddin said the number of flash flood victims housed at SK Relau had gone up to 35 people (from 11 families) yesterday morning. On Friday night, there were 14 people from seven families at the PPS.
“Heavy rain for two hours (on Friday) afternoon caused three villages to be affected.”
Yesterday’s weather was good and flood waters had begun to recede,” he said in a statement.
In SARAWAK, the state Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) said the number of evacuees in Serian increased to 193 yesterday morning compared to 180 people on Friday night.
They were housed at two PPS in SK St Peter and Dewan Kampung Mundai.
In JOHOR, the state JPBN said there was a drop in the number of evacuees to 821 people as of 8am yesterday, compared to 846 people the night before.
A total of 795 people from 225 families are taking shelter at five PPS in Batu Pahat, while 26 people from nine families are housed at one PPS in Segamat.
In SABAH, the state JPBN secretariat, in a statement, said the number of flood victims housed at seven PPS dropped to 298 people yesterday morning.
This was down from the 452 people needing shelter on Friday night.