SEREMBAN: The discovery of an illegal settlement in Nilai near here which even had schooling facilities has got Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun all riled up.He said allowing illegals to set up such settlements was “unforgivable”.
“To me, this is not a small matter and by right, is unforgivable.
“I would like to repeat that I am not going to tolerate this, and all relevant agencies and departments must ensure it doesn’t happen again,” he told reporters yesterday.
Aminuddin was responding to the arrests of 67 Indonesians without valid travel documents during a joint raid on Wednesday carried out by several government agencies in an area that had been turned into a settlement in Nilai.
Several generators provided electricity to the settlement, which was located in an uneven and swampy terrain.
Those detained were between the ages of two months and 72 years old.
Eleven were men, 20 women and the rest were children.
Also seized were weapons including spears and machetes.
Aminuddin said all enforcement agencies including local councils, the Land Office, police and Immigration need to be more vigilant and act immediately when they receive a complaint regarding such matters.
“These things should not be happening. Action should have been taken a long time ago.”
He said the presence of children and their mothers was an indication that they had been there for some time.
Aminuddin also said that enforcement teams should gather information and conduct more patrolling to ensure no such illegal settlements are built.
He would raise the matter in the next state security council meeting.
“I am going to tell every agency and department in the council that this should never happen again,” he added.