KOTA BARU: The agriculture and agrofood sectors experienced damages and losses amounting to RM111.95mil as a result of the northeast monsoon last month.
Agriculture and Food Security Minister Mohamad Sabu said the ministry’s disaster management centre report recorded damages and losses over 24,700ha of agricultural land.
He said the damages and losses involved 12,000 farmers, breeders as well as agrofood entrepreneurs throughout the country.
"To lighten their burden, the Agriculture and Food Security Ministry’s caring programme provided 6,700 ready-to-cook kits, 3,000 ready-to-eat kits and 1,000 hygiene kits to the affected agrofood community.
"The contribution involving RM1mil allocation was to assist the agrofood community hit by the monsoon disaster nationwide,” he said after the presentation of food aid kits to 350 Kelantan ministry staff members here today (Jan 5).
Also present was ministry secretary-general Datuk Haslina Abdul Hamid.
Mohamad added that despite the disaster recently, the food supply of the country was still intact.
"Food supply is sufficient as the floods mostly occurred in the east coast while the west coast was relatively unaffected,” he said. - Bernama