AMPANG: The owners of the row of eight units of houses affected by the landslide in Jalan Halaman 6 in Ampang will be briefed on the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council’s plans for the area next week.
Apart from them, some of the house owners on top of the hill will also be invited for the meeting.
Ampang MP Rodziah Ismail, when contacted yesterday, said the affected land was privately owned and the houses were built without a buffer zone.
“The landslide took place on private land and the residents need an explanation of that, ranging from the technical aspects to the long-term plan.
“Our responsibility is to make sure residents understand the situation. In fact, we have informed those affected to vacate their houses.
“Ultimately, it is their choice if they want to stay,” said Rodziah, who is also the Selangor housing, urban well-being and entrepreneur development committee chairman.
A landslide occurred at about 6pm on Friday in Jalan Halaman 6, damaging two houses badly.
One of the houses was vacant while another had six occupants, but all were unharmed in the incident.
Yesterday morning, some affected residents were seen entering the houses to check on the condition of their homes.
June Cha, 45, who was seen entering one of the houses, said the house belonged to her friend.
“The kitchen portion of the house is located on the first floor of the three-storey house. It is badly damaged,” she said, adding that the occupants had moved to a relative’s place.
Another resident, Khamis Idris, 74, said his retention wall collapsed on Nov 15.
He, his son and his wife have moved away since then.
“When I bought the house in 1988, there were two drains built on the hillslope by the developer. This drain helped channel the rainwater.
“Over the years, the drain was covered by the soil from the hillslope.
“I am not sure what to do next. Maybe I will turn this house into a storeroom,” he said.
In March this year, a deadly landslide at Taman Bukit Permai 2, Ampang Jaya, claimed four lives.