Preacher's defence team wants AGC to review sexual assault charges


PU Azman leaving the Sessions Court after proceedings ended on Thursday.

SEREMBAN: The defence team representing celebrity preacher Azman Syah Alias, who is facing five charges of committing physical sexual assault on two teenage boys, will submit a representation to the Attorney General's Chambers to review the charges.

Lawyer Mohamad Zahid Ahmad told the Sessions Court here that the defence would need time to peruse the documents related to the case before making the representation.

"We received the documents from the prosecution today and hope the court can give us time to go through them before we make our representation.

"We hope the charges are reviewed once we submit our representation to the prosecution," he said on Thursday (Dec 8).

Sessions Court judge Surita Budin allowed the request and fixed Jan 31 to hear the case.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Hafizah Zainul Hashimi had earlier told the court that all the relevant documents pertaining to the case were ready.

Judge Surita said the court will fix the trial dates after hearing the representation from the defence.

On Oct 12, the 41-year-old Azman who is popularly known as PU Azman had claimed trial to the charges.

For the first three charges, he was accused of committing the offence against a 17-year-old at a house in Taman Tiara Sendayan near here.

The offences were allegedly committed between 3am and 5am on July 6.

For the other two charges, he allegedly committed the same offence against a victim aged 16 years and 10 months on the same day and between 8.30pm and midnight on Feb 5.

The alleged assaults were committed in the same house.

He was charged under Section 14 (a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017 which provides imprisonment not exceeding 20 years and whipping, upon conviction.

He has been out on a RM40,000 bail since.

Azman Syah was also ordered to stay away from the witnesses and victims and to surrender his passport to the court.

He was also told to report at the nearest police station every month.

At the Klang Sessions and Magistrate's Courts on Wednesday (Dec 7), Azman Syah claimed trial to four charges of sexually assaulting three other teenage boys.

He was then released on a total bail of RM24,000.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Give up finance minister post, tell Nurul Izzah to step down, Muhyiddin urges Anwar
Umno purge: Just wait, there will be a ‘session’, says Zahid
Sabah and Tawi-Tawi province can explore tourism opportunities, says Liew
Sarawak wants Bintulu Port back from Federal Govt, says Abang Jo
1MDB: Pay up, Anwar tells Goldman Sachs
Anwar: Govt to gradually lower country’s debt without raising taxes
LRT disruption: 34 more buses added to provide free shuttle service
Hajiji appoints Anifah as special advisor on foreign relations and investments
Boosting charging infrastructure key to increased electric vehicle use
Rescuers locate croc attack victim, only to see reptile escape with body

Others Also Read