Wee: Transport drivers, delivery riders must contribute to Socso scheme


Nominal sum: The contribution under the scheme could amount to RM157 a year or RM13.10 per month, says Dr Wee.

IT will be mandatory for p-hailing riders and self-employed transportation providers to register for the Self Employment Social Security Scheme (SKSPS), says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.

He said the registration for the scheme under the Social Security Organisation (Socso) would be a prerequisite for vocational licence application for ehailing, taxi, bus and p-hailing drivers and riders.

The contribution under the scheme could amount to RM157 a year or RM13.10 per month.

“After this, we will impose a condition that the applicant must contribute (to the scheme) in order to obtain the vocational licence.

“This means to get the licence, they must contribute to the SKSPS,” he said while winding up the debate on the Road Transport (Amendment) Bill 2022.

He was responding to a suggestion by Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir (Pejuang-Jerlun) that promotional campaigns on the scheme must be intensified as some drivers might not be aware of it.

Dr Wee, who agreed with the suggestion, said for a start, the government would pay about 80% while riders would have to bear the remaining 20% of the contribution.

“This is what we are doing and we are committed in ensuring that there is a social safety net to protect them if there is an accident,” he added.

In a related note, Dr Wee noted that the Road Transport Department (JPJ) had the power to conduct driving lessons and to issue vocational licences.

“However, if this is to be conducted by JPJ, it will require a lot of resources and high cost of infrastructure and operations,” he said.

Hence, he said, driving institutes had been given permission to conduct driving lessons for vocational licence applicants.

Dr Wee also noted that there were 240 driving institutes nationwide which were offering vocational driving lessons.

The Bill was passed after it was tabled for the second and third readings in the Dewan Rakyat yesterday.

The amendment Bill, which had 13 clauses, also sought to reduce the minimum age for p-hailing vocational licence for motorcycle users to 18 years old from the current 21 through amendments to Section 57 of the Act.

A vocational licence is mandatory for those wanting to work as a rider or driver for public transportation and goods delivery.

In addition to that, the amendment Bills for the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board and Land Public Transport were also passed.

The two amendment Bills were tabled by Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Henry Sum Agong.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

At The Dewan Rakyat

   

Next In Nation

Youth slashed, woman among three arrested in Kulai
Anwar presents list of deputy ministers to King
Najib allowed by court to file third-party notices against former SRC directors
Bella case: Court dismisses Siti Bainun's application for statements of prosecution witnesses
Selangor DOE detains three containers with ewaste from US, Spain
Slope collapse closes stretch of Jalan Tampin-Kuala Pilah-Manchis route
Op Saga: Over 200 arrested nationwide for illegal gambling during the World Cup, says Bukit Aman
Not being Cabinet Minister gives me more time to contribute, says Hishammuddin
RM600bil issue: MACC's probe to focus on RM92.5bil only
Govt committed to implementing climate actions, address climate change

Others Also Read