JOHOR BARU: After a tearful goodbye, the two-year-old boy who passed away after falling from a baby chair has been laid to rest.
Family members and friends gathered at the toddler’s home in Taman Universiti here to offer their prayers and bid him farewell before his burial yesterday.
ALSO READ: Toddler killed in freak accident
They were heard telling him to rest in peace while calling him “tambi” – Tamil for little brother.
The boy’s 30-year-old father, who works in Singapore, and 29-year-old sales assistant mother, were clearly devastated over the loss of their only child.
During the funeral rites that lasted more than an hour, chocolates were among the offerings that were placed near the boy’s coffin.
A close family friend, who declined to be named, said the sweets were some of the late toddler’s favourite treats.
“He was so young that most of us still considered him a baby,” said the man in his 30s, adding that this year’s Deepavali would be a very different one for the family.
“His parents had even bought new clothes for him in preparation for the celebration. It is quite tragic.
“Whatever it is, I think the family members do not blame anyone for their loss as nobody expected such a thing to happen,” he added.
The incident took place at a restaurant in Taman Sutera here on Tuesday.
His parents had sat him down in a baby chair for their meal when the toddler suddenly kicked the table, resulting in the chair tipping over. The child hit his head on the floor as he landed.
His father rushed him to a private clinic, where he was told to seek help at a hospital.
A medical officer pronounced him dead at a private hospital in Iskandar Puteri.