GOMBAK: Action has been taken against the suspects linked to the abuse of an Indonesian maid in Batu Caves, says the police.
Responding to claims made by Segambut MP Hannah Yeoh, Gombak OCPD Asst Comm Zainal Mohamed Mohamed said that the husband-and-wife duo had been charged on Sept 8 at the Klang Sessions Court, under the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants (Atipsom) Act.
"Both pleaded not guilty and have been granted bail. The case will be heard again in court on Nov 4.
"The female suspect has also been charged at the Selayang Sessions Court, under Section 326 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means.
"She had also pleaded not guilty and the case will be transferred to the Klang Sessions Court to be heard with the previous case," he said.
He added that the victim was still currently under protection at a safe house for women.
The police were also working with the Welfare Department to provide follow-up treatment for the victim.
"The case is under due process of the law and the police urge all parties to cooperate and not speculate on it," he said.
It was reported that the Segambut MP had said that no action had been taken by the government despite the suspects being apprehended by the authorities.
She also urged the Home Minister to explain the SOPs involved when a foreign domestic worker lodges a report.