JOHOR BARU: The number of flash flood victims in Johor has increased to 295 as of noon Monday (Oct 3), up from the 75 recorded on Sunday afternoon.
Kulai was the latest to be hit, its district disaster management committee said in a statement.
So far, 159 evacuees are being housed at the SMK Bukit Batu relief centre, it added.
All those seeking shelter at the centre, which opened at 6.30pm Sunday, are residents of Kampung Melayu Bukit Batu.
"Another relief centre in the district was opened at SK Sungai Linau at 5.30pm Sunday to accommodate 41 victims from Kampung Sungai Linau.
"A total of 33 victims from Kampung Tengah, Renggam, also in Kluang, are still at SK Sri Kampung Renggam," the committee said.
At the SK Melayu Raya relief centre in Pontian, there are 62 victims from Kampung Sri Gambut, Kampung Paya Embun, Kampung Melayu Raya and Kampung Sri Menanti.
"So far, four relief centres are operating to cater to flood evacuees in the Pontian, Kluang and Kulai districts,” the statement said.
Flash floods hit several parts of the state after a two-hour downpour from 10am Sunday. – Bernama