Man feared drowned finds way back home

KOTA KINABALU: A man who was feared to have been swept away by strong river currents in Tambunan district has turned up safely at home.

A search and rescue operation was mounted after the family of Helry Junior Michel, 29, reported him missing on Monday morning.

However, he returned home early the next day.

Tambunan fire station chief Desmond Dominic said rescuers received a distress call at 6.20am on Monday and a search operation was mounted at Kampung Lobou-Lobou.He added the search operation was halted at 2.16am. The operation was supposed to resume at 7am yesterday.

“We were informed that the person who filed a missing person’s report had lodged another one at 6.59am, informing authorities of Helry’s safe return,” Desmond said.

He said it is unclear what actually had happened or where Helry was during the whole day as he was unreachable.

Keningau OCPD Deputy Supt Nor Rafidah Kasim said police did not receive an official report about the missing man, only updates on the incident.

“The man did not go missing. He just did not return home as usual and that could have caused the family to panic,” she said.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Foreigner nabbed over contraband liquor worth RM270,000
Happy Thaipusam, says Religious Affairs Minister while reminding Muslims not to participate in the ceremonial rituals
Devotees throng Tg Tokong temple for first flame-watching ceremony since pandemic began
Hindu devotees, foreign tourists throng Penang to celebrate Thaipusam
Married couple killed, three children injured in crash on LPT2
Malaysia to host Asean-GCC summit, says Zambry
Search for missing hiker on Pulau Mawar postponed due to bad weather
Malaysia, Singapore to work together to tackle online scams
Floods: Situation in Johor improves, only 768 evacuees remain at relief centres
LPP, Fama told to intervene quickly to overcome veggie shortage

Others Also Read