KOTA KINABALU: Work on a new bridge to replace the Jambatan Sungai Liau in Keningau that partially collapsed due to heavy rain will be completed in 2024, says Deputy Works Minister Datuk Arthur Kurup.
He said early preparatory works to build the 30m permanent bridge at KM117.1 Jalan Kota Kinabalu-Keningau-Tenom had already begun.
“Based on the work plan by the contractor, the machinery needed for the construction will be brought into the site beginning early next month.
“The physical work at the site is expected to pick up soon after in order to ensure the construction project will be completed within its time frame,” he said in a statement on Wednesday (Aug 24).
A portion of the bridge had collapsed after a continuous downpour in December last year.
Arthur, who is Pensiangan MP, said the construction was expected for completion in February 2024.
“It is my hope that the project will be completed according to the specifications and period that have been set so that the problem arising from the matter will be resolved,” he added.
He also said that while the construction was on-going, Jambatan Bailey would be utilised as the alternative route to connect land travel between Keningau and neighbouring interior district Tenom.
The Federal government had approved RM7.2mil for the construction of a new Jambatan Sungai Liau.
The construction of a steel girder bridge that could accommodate bigger and heavier vehicles had also been approved.
Arthur said the construction of the Jambatan Sungai Liau reflected the concern by the Federal government in ensuring the Malaysian Family in Sabah could have safe and comfortable land connectivity.
Jambatan Bailey was constructed as a temporary solution to allow the high traffic passing through the area except for heavy vehicles that weighed eight tonnes or more.