PETALING JAYA: The nine policemen being investigated for their alleged involvement in an extortion case have not been transferred to Sabah or Sarawak, police say, while the Home Ministry says the transfers have yet to take place.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin said he would refer the matter to Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani.
“It (the transfer) was announced but has not taken place yet. I have already spoken to the Inspector-General to look into it,” he told reporters after launching the World Day Against Trafficking of People at the Central Zone Women’s Safe House here yesterday.
He was responding to criticism from various leaders in Sabah who said that the state was not supposed to be a “dumping ground” for problematic policemen.
In KOTA KINABALU, Acryl Sani said the nine policemen have not been transferred to Sabah or Sarawak.
He said he has instructed the police’s Management Department to carry out a review of the matter, adding that he was aware of the unhappiness over the issue.
“We will take note of all the wishes by the Sabah and Sarawak governments on the issue,” he said after attending the Ops Bersepadu Khazanah meeting here.
In KUCHING, Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Mohd Azman Ahmad Sapri said Bukit Aman will review the decision to transfer nine police officers to the two states.
He said the Sarawak government was informed that none of the officers reported for duty yet with the state police contingent, reported Bernama.
Earlier, Selangor deputy police chief Deputy Comm Datuk S. Sasikala Devi was reported to have said the nine officers were transferred to several police stations and divisions in Sabah and Sarawak.
She said they had been placed in the states as investigations continue on their alleged involvement in an extortion case linked to a businessman in Gombak.
Among the Sabah leaders who criticised the move to transfer the problematic policemen was Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Seri Dr Jeffrey Kitingan, who said it was unacceptable for the policemen to be transferred to the Borneo states as a disciplinary action.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said on Wednesday that he viewed the action seriously as the police did not seek or consult with the state on the matter.
He said the state government will seek an explanation from the police over the transfers.