Rantau PPR will not be sold to Negri govt, says Tok Mat


SEREMBAN: The Federal Government has decided not to sell the Rantau People’s Housing project (PPR) to the Negri Sembilan government, says Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

The Umno deputy president said this was conveyed to him by Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican.

"The minister told me that the Cabinet had decided this during a meeting on June 22.

"So, this means, those who have been picked during a ballot exercise more than two years ago will be able to own the units under the rent-to-own scheme," he said when met during a meet-the-people event in Rantau.

The construction of the 100-unit project started in January 2017 and was completed about two years later.

However, the units were not handed over to those eligible as the state government had plans to acquire the units.

Mohamad said he had to intervene to ensure the houses were sold under the RTO concept as he was the one who initiated the project when he was mentri besar.

"Since we had already carried out a ballot exercise to pick the buyers, it was only fair that these individuals were given the houses.

"Under Barisan Nasional's rule, we had built similar projects in Siliau and Tanah Merah which mostly benefited former estate workers so this too should go to those eligible so they can eventually own the units," he said, adding that each house will cost RM40,000.

Mohamad said the new owners would be required to pay a rent and management fee totalling RM237 monthly for 20 years.

However, they could choose to pay off the balance in a lump sum if they wished to.

"The rent that they paid for five years will be considered as a deposit," he said.

He said the buyers were fortunate as the houses cost between RM80,000 and RM90,000 elsewhere.

"These houses were primarily built for the second and third generation youth who live in the villages here with their parents and have chosen to remain in Rantau.

"On my part, I will liaise with the ministry to ensure minor repair works to the units, some of which have been vandalised, would be carried out soonest so the owners can move in by the end or early next year," he added.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Billions deposited in accounts but Najib never made cash withdrawals, says bank officer
Fuel prices Oct 6 to 12: RON97 down five sen to RM3.95 per litre, RON95, diesel unchanged
Major changes recommended to GEG Bill ahead of Oct 6 tabling
GEG Bill not out to 'criminalise' children, says Khairy
Chepor floods the worst in 30 years, say victims
College student dies in head-on collision near Rembau
MMEA detains Vietnamese fishing boat carrying 3.5 tonnes of fish in Johor waters
We have not paid anything for MySejahtera yet, maintains Khairy
Cops cripple house break-in gang, arrest four in Penang
Difficult for people to vote if MyKad lost in floods, says Rina

Others Also Read