Cops advise public not to take part in price increase protest


KUALA LUMPUR: The police are advising the public not to take part in a protest against the rise in prices of goods expected to be held at Kampung Baru on Friday (July 1).

Dang Wangi OCPD Asst Comm Noor Dellhan Yahaya said police have received information on the rally, which will be held after Friday prayers, but no notices have been submitted by the organisers.

"We are aware of the planned rally. However, the organisers have failed to officially inform us under Section 9(1) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.

"We advise any party or the public not to take part. Action will be taken in accordance with the law," he said when contacted on Thursday (June 30).

ACP Noor Dellhan said police personnel would be placed at the planned rally area to ensure the safety of the public.

Previously, it was reported that Parti Amanah Negara had planned a rally on July 1 calling for food subsidies to be reinstated for basic goods such as chicken, eggs and cooking oil.

Its mobilisation bureau director Mohd Sany Hamzan had said the rally would go on if the problem of price increases was not solved.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Public interest issues will always warrant my attention, says Dr Wee
Kelantan's RM256mil Bukit Merbau sports complex to have 20,000-seat main stadium
Slashed Sg Petani security guard succumbs to injuries, say cops
Malaysian, 51, dies during Mt Kinabalu climb
Don't hoard or ration cooking oil, says Annuar
Kick out, blacklist those abusing PPR ownership conditions
Sabah Day on Aug 31, not gazetted yet, says Kitingan
Perikatan will continue supporting PM for political stability, says Ronald
Those in agriculture, fisheries should consider selling online, says Kiandee
Cops deny viral post stoked racial tension

Others Also Read