New highway projects to be funded by concessionaires


PETALING JAYA: All new highway projects, including the three that recently obtained in-principle approval in the Klang Valley, will not get any allocations from the government, says Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof (pic).

He said the costs of these projects and any risks involved would have to be fully borne by the potential concessionaires, Bernama reported.

“There will no longer be any financial assistance from the government for all new highways. In fact, no assistance for land too. Previously, land acquisition cost for highway construction was partly borne by the government.

“Now, there are no more soft loans; all will have to be shouldered by the concession companies interested in building the highways,” he said when launching the Hari Raya open house and annual general meeting of the Malaysian Bumiputera Contractors Association for 2021 and 2022 here Thursday evening.

The Petaling Jaya Traffic Dispersal Elevated Highway (PJD LINK), Putrajaya-Bangi Expressway (PBE) and Kuala Lumpur Northern Dispersal Expressway (KL-NODE) projects have obtained approval from the government.

On April 4, Fadillah said the government welcomed private companies to take over concessionaires for the purpose of restructuring to reduce the financial burden of the people and government.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

No bloated Cabinet, please
PM urged to consult with party leaders on Cabinet line-up
Walk the talk, no court cluster, PM told
Appointment not a reward, says Anwar
Two-week deadline for subsidy plan
Tough to implement targeted subsidies, say experts
World Cup good for business
BN candidate welcomes Pakatan’s withdrawal
Nod for BN-PH Pahang govt
BN has confidence in Anwar

Others Also Read