Action to be taken if Jinjang flood reservoir encroached into by developers, says MACC chief


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 08 Jan 2022

KUALA LUMPUR: Criminal action will be taken if there is evidence of encroachment at the Jinjang River flood reservoir, says Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki.

“If there is encroachment of land, that is an offence,” said Azam.

Azam said those who had breached any development requirements would face the music.

He said that the next step would be to appoint certified surveyors to re-measure the flood reservoir to see if condominiums nearby encroach into the area, which was a technical matter.

There have been allegations that the condominium development nearby had encroached into the flood reservoir area which contains three retention ponds – Delima, Nanyang and Wahyu.

He said that instructions have already been given to the Kuala Lumpur City Council (DBKL), who will be in charge of appointing the surveyor.

“The MACC wants to have a clear picture on this matter and also get a report from a surveyor on the development,” said Azam during a visit to a condominium showroom near the Jinjang River flood reservoir in Taman Wahyu on Saturday (Jan 8).

“The area must be properly measured so we can ascertain whether development has been carried out within approved areas,” he added.

Azam also said all angles will be looked at by the MACC after the surveyor’s report is complete.

“If the report says everything is okay, we will accept that. Otherwise, I will inform all of you what action will be taken.

Azam said that the report by the surveyor would take between two to three weeks.

“If there are any breaches (of law), someone will be held accountable,” added Azam.

During the inspection, Azam said the water capacity has gone above the two million cubic metre limit set by the Irrigation and Drainage Department (DID).

“It’s 2.2 million cubic meters now,” said Azam briefly during the visit with DBKL mayor Datuk Seri Mahadi Che Ngah, DID director general Datuk Dr Md Nasir Md Noh and MACC deputy commissioner Datuk Seri Ahmad Khusairi Yahaya.

Previously Lembah Pantai MP Fahmi Fadzil, Segambut MP Hannah Yeoh and among others, lodged a police report, claiming that six retention ponds – Batu, Nanyang, Delima, Taman Wahyu, Batu 4 1/2 and Taman Desa – were approved for development.

However, on Monday (Jan 3), DID denied that it sold flood retention ponds on government land.

DID deputy director Ratna Rajah Sivapiragasam said even if the retention land in question were sold, the ponds themselves remained under the purview of the department.

Ratna chided the MPs, saying they should have sought clarification with the DID before making the allegations.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Peter Anthony found guilty of using false documents
Covid-19 Watch: 32pc of children in Malaysia fully vaccinated
Covid-19 Watch: 2,430 new cases, nationwide ICU usage at 59.4pc
Floods: 17 people rescued from Perak nursing home
Do you know ... about the Mah Meri people?
Ehailing players to face action over higher surcharge
Retreat between Malaysia and Singapore leaders explored
On track for new train sets
Blowing hot and wet
Trapped between two extremes – fire and floods

Others Also Read