KUALA TERENGGANU: A total of 74 deaths due to Covid-19 were recorded over the past two weeks in the state, says Terengganu health director Datuk Dr Kasemani Embong.
She said the upward trend was rather worrying as eight deaths were recorded on Nov 18, nine on Nov 15 and 17, and its highest number at 12 on Nov 20.
“The increase in fatalities might be caused by the delay in seeking treatment; these patients also had more than two comorbidities, were not vaccinated and were aged over 50.
“Comorbidities such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity and high blood pressure increase the patient’s risk of getting infected and having serious symptoms,” she said when contacted by Bernama.
Since the pandemic began early last year, Kuala Terengganu has recorded the highest number of deaths at 118 followed by Besut (105), Kemaman (92), Dungun (91), Marang (54), Kuala Nerus (52), Setiu (27) and Hulu Terengganu (19).
As of Tuesday, the cumulative death toll in Terengganu stood at 558.
So far, 4,297 active cases have been recorded throughout the state, bringing the cumulative number to 75,051.