Civil servants refusing vaccine to face action


GEORGE TOWN: Civil servants under the two city councils in Penang who continue to refuse Covid-19 vaccination without a valid reason will face disciplinary action come Nov 1.

State local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said 48 out of 7,002 workers at both city councils have yet to be vaccinated.

“Some 34 of these workers may be hauled up for disciplinary action soon.

“We have obtained a list of those who are still not vaccinated under the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) and the Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP).

“Under MBPP, nine workers have health problems while 20 others have yet to get their jabs.

“As for MBSP, 19 workers are unvaccinated, but five of them will be exempted due to health issues.

“We will try to advise and get those without valid reasons to receive their jabs,” he added.

Jagdeep said that among the reasons for their refusal were not feeling the need to get vaccinated until it is made compulsory and not confident about getting the jabs.

Separately, Bernama reported that Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali had urged all civil servants to comply with the rules in the circular issued by the Public Service Department (PSD) that has made it mandatory for them to complete their Covid-19 vaccination before Nov 1.

He said disciplinary action could be taken against civil servants who refused to get vaccinated.

“According to the circular, civil servants must abide by what has been decided by their heads of department,” he said after receiving the Covid-19 vaccine booster dose at the Membedai health clinic, near Labuan, yesterday.

Mohd Zuki said since many civil servants have returned to the office, those who refused to be vaccinated would only cause discomfort to colleagues, adding that they would create a negative perception of the public service.

On Sept 30, the PSD made it mandatory for federal civil servants to get the Covid-19 vaccine by Nov 1.

It said that nearly 98% of civil servants had been vaccinated while 1.6% or 16,902 people have yet to register.

The decision was made to give confidence and assurance for a smooth delivery of public services to the people.

It is also in line with efforts to restore the government’s services to full operational level based on the phases of the National Recovery Plan.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Indonesia proposed as second country for VTL, say Foreign Minister
DOE collects more than 2,000 tonnes of e-waste this year, exceeding target
Consumer Affairs Ministry issues eight notices to check on higher vegetable prices in Penang
Eleven Sabah Bersatu divisions agree to two-term limit proposal for CM
Work hard to provide best service to community, Dr Wee advises MCA members
Covid-19: Health Ministry closely monitoring WHO, other countries over Omicron variant, says Khairy
Covid-19: Unimas, Sibu CRC to continue monitoring new variant
Sabah govt must resolve Labuan immigration loophole, says Ongkili
Study needed on proposal to register GRS as official coalition, says Bung
Covid-19: Primary pupils to undergo weekly tests every Wednesday on schooling days

Others Also Read


Vouchers