Adib probe committee to appoint senior pathologist

KUALA LUMPUR: The special committee to probe the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim has decided to appoint a senior pathologist to assist the investigation, says Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.

The Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) said the pathologist would conduct a thorough investigation to examine the decision made by the Coroner’s Court, police investigation findings as well as other areas concerning the cause of death of the fireman.

“The pathologist has been given a deadline to conclude the probe and come up with a detailed report on their investigation findings. The government is serious in resolving this case, which has been pending since 2018.

“The special committee is scheduled to meet again in one month, upon obtaining the report from (the) senior pathologist,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Wan Junaidi, who is also the special committee chairman, and other members of the special committee – Home Minister Datuk Seri Hamzah Zainudin, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican, Attorney General Tan Sri Idrus Harun, and Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani – sat for their first meeting on Monday to discuss in detail the facts and chronology pertaining to Muhammad Adib’s death.

“It is clear that this would not be an easy case to handle and requires various levels of investigations.

“That is why we decided to appoint a senior pathologist to assist us on this,” said Wan Junaidi, adding that the next course of action would be determined upon receiving the report.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob on Saturday announced the Cabinet’s decision to form the special committee on Muhammad Adib’s death as well as two other task forces to examine the claims made by former attorney general Tan Sri Tommy Thomas in his memoirs and to review Malaysia’s legal options in relation to the Pulau Batu Puteh case.

Wan Junaidi said the setting up of the special committee proves the government’s commitment to ensuring that justice is served and ensures that those who caused Muhammad Adib’s death are brought to justice.

Muhammad Adib was seriously injured during a riot at the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in USJ 25, Subang Jaya on Nov 27, 2018, and died on Dec 17, 2018, after fighting for his life in hospital for 21 days.

He was said to have been attacked by a group of people during the riot, which also saw a fire engine damaged and two other vehicles set ablaze.

The riot was sparked by clashes between two groups over the issue of relocation of the temple, which is more than 100 years old.

An inquest into Muhammad Adib’s death was conducted by coroner Rofiah Mohamad in Shah Alam for 41 days, which ended on July 24, 2019, with 30 witnesses called to testify and 137 pieces of evidence presented.

On Sept 27, 2019, the coroner ruled that Muhammad Adib’s death was due to a criminal act perpetrated by more than two unidentified individuals. — Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

Inspector detained for allegedly injuring police personnel
Cops nab man, seize drugs worth RM412,000 in Kedah
Sarawak Polls: Speculation rife that Ali Biju may defend Krian seat as an Independent
Thunderstorms expected in several areas in Sarawak on Nomination Day (Dec 6)
Sabah Bersatu's pro-tem associate wing led by Dr Roland Chia
Sarawak Polls: Amanah to contest eight seats
Covid-19: Police investigating breach of SOP by a group of men at toyshop
Sarawak Polls: Nomination starts on Monday (Dec 6) at 82 centres statewide
Ras Adiba urges the disabled to go for Covid-19 vaccine booster jabs
Sarawak Polls: GPS candidate Dr Annuar says will work hard to gain support of voters in Nangka constituency

Others Also Read