SEBERANG PRAI: The Kepala Batas market has been ordered to shut after 14 positive Covid-19 cases were detected.
The Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) had ordered the temporary closure of the market beginning Wednesday (Aug 11).
Out of the 14 Covid-19 cases, five involved traders at the market while another nine involved workers.
MBSP mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said they understood that people were worried about the cases.
“I am constantly in touch with the North Seberang Prai district health office on the matter.
“We have been told that the situation is under observation and constantly investigated by the district health office for risk assessment.
“With several positive cases reported, we have taken the initiative to order all traders at the Kepala Batas market to cease business temporarily for three days, from Wednesday (Aug 11) to Friday (Aug 13), or a date to be informed later.
"We will only allow the traders and workers to resume businesses again if they undertake the RT-PCR or RTK- Antigen tests, and are tested negative.
“They have to show us the results and the decision of the swab test will also be used if there is instruction to extend the closure period," he said on Monday (Aug 9).
Rozali added that the move was a precautionary measure to prevent the further spread of the Covid-19 among traders, workers and market goers.
In Penang, several markets have been shut following positive Covid-19 cases involving traders and workers.
Since March last year, several public markets including those at Taman Free School, Batu Maung, Perak Road, Batu Lanchang and Jelutong on the island and in Penaga, Bagan Ajam, Chai Leng Park, Taman Sri Rambai, Seberang Jaya and Bukit Mertajam on the Penang mainland had been temporarily closed for disinfection after Covid-19 cases were detected.