Total active cases at an all-time high of 203,664


PUTRAJAYA: The number of active Covid-19 cases in Malaysia reached an all-time high of 203,664, surpassing the 200k mark for the first time.

In his daily Covid-19 press update, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said Malaysia recorded 17,105 new cases and 195 deaths.

“Of the 17,105 new infections, 98.1% are mild or asymptomatic cases. The remaining 1.9% are Category 3, 4 and 5 cases,” he said.

At least 3,115 cases (18.2%) are people with a history of vaccination. Most of them (3,041) either have mild or no symptoms.

Some 54% of yesterday’s cases are those traced from the screening of close contacts. Another 35% are sporadic infections, while 9% have links to clusters.

There are also 37 imported cases.

Five states have more than 1,000 cases – Selangor with 5,836, Kuala Lumpur with 2,309, Johor with 1,275, Kedah with 1,036 and Sabah with 1,010.

Labuan, which now has 82% fully vaccinated adults, recorded the lowest number of infections with just five new cases.

Of the 195 deaths recorded, 173 were Malaysian citizens, while 22 are foreign nationals.

At least 150 of the casualties had some form of comorbidity.

There were 34 fatalities recorded as “brought-in-dead” cases.

Selangor reported the highest number of fatalities with 88 deaths, followed by Johor with 24 and Penang with 15.

Yesterday, 12,297 more patients in the country were discharged from treatment.

Currently, there are 1,066 patients in intensive care units (ICU), with 537 on ventilator support.

Dr Noor Hisham said Malaysia’s infectivity rate as at Aug 2 was at an Rt level of 1.07 – down from 1.08 the previous day.

State-wise, Terengganu had the highest infectivity rate with an Rt of 1.30, followed by Kelantan (Rt 1.25) and Perak (Rt 1.20).

The Health Ministry also identified 30 new Covid-19 clusters nationwide.

They consist of 14 workplace-related clusters and 14 community outbreaks.

Two clusters have been classified as high-risk groups, as they involve a medical centre and a transit centre for the homeless.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Covid-19: M'sia's death toll now at 24,078 with 334 total fatalities reported Tuesday (Sept 21)
HTAR sees possible anti-vax influence in current Covid-19 hospitalisations, deaths
Parliament: 16 ministers scheduled to wind-up debate on Royal Address Wednesday (Sept 22)
Annuar Musa to discuss arts industry issues on Twitter Spaces Friday (Sept 24)
Effectiveness of Covid-19 assessment centres among issues to be raised in Parliament Wednesday (Sept 22)
More sectors to reopen
Experts: Months before results of travel bubble
80 per cent vaccination target met ahead of target date
Monkey sees, monkey takes
Civil defence forces catch 700kg crocodile in village in Papar

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers