Guan Eng applies to transfer graft trial to High Court


KUALA LUMPUR: Former finance minister Lim Guan Eng has applied for his corruption trial involving the Penang undersea tunnel project to be transferred from the Sessions Court to the High Court.

The application, filed through law firm Messrs Gobind Singh Deo & Co on Thursday, has been fixed for hearing on Monday before High Court judge Justice Muhammad Jamil Hussin.

Lim’s corruption trial was initially scheduled to begin on Tuesday in the Sessions Court, with the trial dates fixed since last December.

In the application, he said the proceedings before Sessions Court judge Azura Alwi should be stayed pending the final decision on the transfer application.

In his supporting affidavit, the Bagan MP said his case should be heard in the High Court as decisions in such cases could be appealed to the Federal Court.

Deputy public prosecutor Wan Shahruddin Wan Ladin told the press that the prosecution would be objecting to Lim’s application.

Lim was charged in the Sessions Court on Aug 7 last year with soliciting a bribe from the company awarded the contract to undertake the RM6.3bil Penang undersea tunnel project.He was accused of soliciting 10% of the potential profits from Datuk Zarul Zulkifli in exchange for helping Zarul’s company, Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd, be appointed to carry out the construction of main roads and tunnels for the project.On Aug 10 last year, Lim was charged in the Butterworth Sessions Court with abusing his power to obtain a RM3.3mil bribe as an inducement to appoint Zarul’s company for construction work costing RM6,341,383,702 for three paired roads and the undersea tunnel project in the state.

On Sept 11 that same year, he was charged in the same court with two more counts of misappropriation of property by disposing two plots of land belonging to the Penang government in Bandar Tanjong Pinang worth RM208mil to Ewein Zenith Sdn Bhd and Zenith Urban Development Sdn Bhd – companies linked to the tunnel project.

Lim allegedly committed the offences between 2011 and 2017.

The cases from the Butterworth Sessions Court have been transferred to the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Perak to establish interest-free micro-credit loan scheme for traders
Body of disabled man found in ditch
Socso's song 'Sifar' winner at international contest in Canada
Elevated bridge alternative
Ismail Sabri to highlight ‘The World is a Family’ theme at UN meet
PM: 10,000 households will benefit from govt’s initiative
Johor submits travel bubble proposal to govt
Recipients of Rumah Ikram thankful for housing
Wee: Express bus drivers to receive one-off RM500 aid
Mutual recognition of vaccine certs to boost border travel

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers